Contributing to an open source project can be fun. But how to get started? The following simple steps should get you up and running and empower you to contribute to open source projects on Github.
Fork and clone the original repository
- Head over to https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg
- Create a personal fork, e.g. https://github.com/nielslange/gutenberg
- Clone the fork into the plugin folder on your local environment
- Move into Gutenberg plugin folder
Add an upstream
- Add upstream
- Verify upstream
Synch the fork
- Fetch upstream
- Check out the master branch
- Merge changes from the upstream/master into the local master branch
Now, you should have a fork of the original repository added to your Github profile as well as having the upstream defined and your local master branch synched with the upstream branch. Thus, time to apply your own changes to the code.
Push changes and create pull request
- Push the local master branch
- Head over to your forked repository and click on
New pull request.
Install dependencies and start watcher
- Open a terminal and browse to the Gutenberg plugin folder
- Install dependencies
- Activate watcher